Tuesday 22 September 2015

Radio Advertising

Advantages of Radio Advertising

  • It provides close contact with listeners - most people listen to alone, for example whilst they are driving or running
  • Listeners develop a strong relationship with their favourite radio stations
  • It is less expensive than TV advertising as advertising on local radio broadcasts is not very expensive 
  • Radio advertising is works as an everywhere medium
Disadvantages of Radio Advertising

  • People do not pay as much attention to radio advertisements compared to TV advertisements - therefore the advert would need to run more than a few times in order for it to make an impact
  • It is not visual, listeners find it very hard to engage 
  • Short time frame to really sell your product or service 
Key Tips for Radio Advertising
  • Cover all key points in an efficient and entertaining way
  • Use informal language - write the way you talk
  • Do not cram too much into a radio ad, it can become pushy and intrusive
  • Include pauses as you would if you were talking to a consumer directly
  • The music and tone of the ad should fit the radio station the advert will be airing on
  • Persuasive language 
  • 25-45 seconds long
  • Diegetic sound
How powerful and effective is radio advertising?

Restrictions with Language
  • Sexual/inappropriate content 
  • Swearing is banned on all radio ads at ALL times
  • Adverts promoting cigarettes 
It is important that I research into the restrictions on radio advertising - although they are similar to TV advertising restrictions, I must ensure that I do not include any inappropriate language within my radio advert. When planning the language I am going to use in my radio advert, I must ensure that it is persuasive but no t too invasive. I would like to engage with my listeners, using direct language such as 'us' and 'you'. This way I can create a relationship with listeners and they will feel more i involved. Additionally, I must not forget to always promote my product within the advertisement to ensure that I portray my message clearly. 


No comments:

Post a Comment