Thursday 3 December 2015

Film Noir: Codes and Conventions

Before I would start filming, looking into the codes and conventions is going to enable me to correctly film particular shots that are stereotypical in a film noir. 


  • Low and high angles are used in film noir very often, this makes it almost uncomfortable for an audience to watch
  • Extreme close ups - I think I will be using a lot of extreme close up's because I am planning on my advert to be seductive and intimate 
  • Reflections and views obscured through objects
  • Mise-en-scene: rainy and dark settings
  • Low key lighting
  • High contrast images
  • Sound: jazz music, breaks of silence, sudden noises, ambient sound of surrounding
Lots of these conventions I will be applying to my own advert as these codes and conventions are what makes a film noir. I am going to take some test shots this week to practice extreme close ups and lighting. Firstly, I am going to practice spraying perfume as closely as I can across the camera to see how close I can get for an audience to visually see it. I want to practice these shots first because if the do not work, I have to come up with another idea that has the same effect as a perfume spray. Moreover, if it works, I would like to keep these shots and see if it would fit with the rest of my advert style. 

No comments:

Post a Comment